Last week a very nice thing happened! Two fellow bloggers honored me with the Stylish Blogger Award.
First to honor me was Cher at The Not So Exciting Adventures of a Dabbler…
The next day Katiebe over at Prof Who Cooks awarded me as well.
Both are fellow French Fridays with Dorie participants. It has been a lot of fun getting to know other cooks and bloggers by making the same thing together each week.
As as fairly new blogger, it sure is nice to know there are people out there enjoying my blog!
So, there are a few “rules” to this award thing. I’m going to follow some of them and not others!
1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award:
This one’s easy! I truly appreciate the honor. Thanks to both Cher and Katiebe for thinking of me!
2. Share 7 things about yourself:
- I currently live in Reno, NV but I grew up in Seattle, WA.
- I have a degree in Mathematics and a minor in Computer Science.
- I have a secret addiction to chocolate-hazelnut spreads (like Nutella, but I prefer higher quality products)
- While I enjoy all the days of sunshine we have in Reno, I always like it when it rains because it reminds me of home.
- I danced ballet all through my school years.
- Even though I live so close to all the great Tahoe ski resorts I don’t ski or snowboard and have no desire to.
- Cleaning house is not my forte.
3. Award 15 recently discovered great bloggers.
4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award!
I’m not going to do these last two. I have a bunch of new-to-me blogs (both cooking and sewing) bookmarked for further perusal, but I just haven’t had the time lately to check them out. I don’t feel like I could honestly pick 15 to award at this time.
Welcome to my blog! It feels a little strange writing to an audience that doesn’t exist yet, but I hope someone, somewhere out there finds me.
First, a bit about me. Until recently I worked full time as a software engineer. A little over a year ago I decided to stop working, so I could be a full time mom to my daughter, who has multiple special needs. That was one of the best decisions I ever made! My long term goal is to work at home designing software.
I have always enjoyed cooking. I LOVE making good food for myself and my loved ones. I feel out of balance if I go for too many days without having time to cook a decent meal. In recent years, sewing has become my hobby of choice. I prefer making clothing, mostly for myself, occasionally for my daughter and others. One thing I like about sewing is that I can be creative without being artistic. I also like that I can make things that are useful.
When thinking about what I wanted my blog to be about, I thought about my favorite blogs I like to read. What topics to I enjoy reading about? What makes one blog more enjoyable than another? I enjoy food blogs that share recipes I might actually make. I enjoy sewing blogs that not only share completed projects, but also talk about the process and other sewing-related topics. I don’t mind if a blog strays off topic once in a while. In all blogs I read, I like it when the personality of the blogger comes through.
So, for now this blog will be about my cooking and sewing adventures. I may even throw in a surprise now and then. I hope you learn a bit about me in the process.