- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- small piece of Parmesan cheese rind (optional, but adds a lot of flavor)
- 8 or 9 oz. package fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 4 – 6 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: chopped fresh basil leaves or pesto
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot. Add the chopped garlic and stir until softened, being careful not to burn it.
Add the tomatoes with their juices and the chicken broth to the pan. Add the Parmesan rind, if using. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the tortellini an cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until the tortellini is just tender.
Coarsely chop the baby spinach leaves. Or leave them whole if you are lazy like me.
Remove the Parmesan rind from the pot. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, just a few minutes. Stir in grated Parmesan cheese.
Add pepper to taste, and additional salt if needed.
Garnish each serving with additional grated Parmesan and one of the optional garnishes, if using.
Serves 3 – 4
Originally Posted In: https://thingsfromscratch.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/tortellini-soup