- 3 medium potatoes (I used red), peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 3 medium zucchini, or other summer squash, sliced
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10×6-inch baking dish. Layer the potato slices with 1 cup of the cheese in the baking dish.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat, then blend in the flour, salt, and pepper. Stir in the milk. Return the saucepan to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens slightly and begins to boil.
Pour the sauce over the potato slices. Cover and bake for 45 – 50 minutes.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and uncover. Layer the zucchini slices and the remaining cheese over the potatoes. Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and combine it with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the zucchini and bake, uncovered, for an additional 40 minutes.