Adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking.
- 2 cups (8 ounces) white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (2 1/8 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced peaches
- Course sugar for sprinkling
Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and sour cream; mix until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until the batter is smooth. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl again to be sure everything is well combined. Gently fold in the peaches. Refrigerate the batter at least an hour.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the course sugar. Bake for 22 to 26 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling.
Makes 12 muffins.