Adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats (I have also used regular rolled oats with no problem)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup flour
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons finely minced onion
- Dash of Tabasco
In a bowl, combine the ground beef, oats, milk, 2 T. minced onion, and salt. Add black pepper to taste. Stir well to combine.
Form the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 – 45 minutes, or freeze for 5 – 10 minutes, to firm them up and make them easier to work with.
Preheat oven to 350°. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the flour on a plate (I like using a pie dish) and dredge the meatballs in the flour. Brown the meatballs in the skillet until lightly browned. You will have to do this in batches. Place the browned meatballs in a 7×11″ baking dish.
Stir together the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl. Spoon the sauce evenly over the meatballs. Bake for 45 minutes and serve.