Heavily adapted from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Family Favorites by Beth Hensperger
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 cup fresh, frozen, or canned corn kernels
- ½ cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if canned
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup shredded Jack cheese (about 4 oz)
- 10 cups chopped Romaine lettuce (about 2 hearts)
- Ranch Dressing (use your favorite – I used Litehouse)
- ½ cup crushed tortilla chips
In a small bowl, mix the Barbecue Dressing ingredients together, stirring with a whisk to mix well. Place ¼ cup of the dressing in a smaller bowl and set aside.
If using fresh or frozen corn, cook briefly in boiling water until just tender. Drain and cool. If using canned corn, drain well. Combine the corn, black beans and red bell pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Brush the chicken with the reserved ¼ cup Barbecue Dressing. Grill or broil the chicken until cooked through. Let the chicken cool a bit, and then cut it into bite-sized pieces.
Place the Romaine lettuce in a large bowl. Toss with the Ranch dressing to taste. Divide the Romaine between 4 plates. Place a quarter of the corn salsa on top of each serving. Next divide the red onions and Jack cheese among the plates. Add the chicken on top of the onions and cheese. Drizzle a little of the Barbecue Dressing on top of each salad. Finally, top with the crushed tortilla chips.
Pass the extra Barbecue Dressing at the table so diners can add to taste.