- 1 pound dried fettuccine or other pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut in to 1-inch lengths
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (about 2 ounces)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- Pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 6 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
While the pasta is cooking, combine the asparagus, mushrooms, wine, olive oil, garlic, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes in a skillet and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partly covered, until the asparagus is just tender but still crisp, about 10 minutes. Most of the liquid should have evaporated. If the liquid evaporates before the asparagus is cooked, add a little water. When the asparagus is cooked, stir in the basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
When the pasta is cooked, drain well and return it to the pot. Add the butter to the hot pasta and coat well. Arrange the pasta on warmed serving plates and top with the asparagus mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.